How to turn your TV box into a Mini PC
Boost your investment in a set-top box and turn it into an Android Mini PC.
Have you thought about what you can do with your set-top box, in addition to making your television even smarter? Turning it into a Mini PC is a good option that can make your experience much more positive.
Connect your TV Box to a monitor with an HDMI input
- Confirm that your monitor has an HDMI input.
- Confirm that your monitor is HDCP Compliant (High Definition Content Protection, think TV DRM). If the monitor is not, you will not be able to decode the HDCP protections embedded in the HD content by distributors to protect content from piracy.
- Make sure your monitor has at least a 720p resolution.
- Finally, if the monitor meets all these requirements, connect the cables.
Connect the keyboard and mouse to USB ports
- Confirm that your keyboard and mouse have USB connection.
- If you have cable, check the size of the cable and how far it can go in your room.
- If both are wireless, also confirm the maximum radius of effectiveness, to be able to control your box comfortably.
What can I do?
Now that you have everything connected, just take advantage of your set-top box to:
Go to your favorite app store, like Aptoide or Google Play, and search for the email apps you use and install them.
Surf the Internet
If you want to surf the Internet, there is no lack of choice. From the most traditional, through the alternatives...
- Google Chrome
- Firefox Browser / Firefox Focus
- Opera Browser / Opera Mini
- UC Browser
- Maxthon5 Browser
Do you really need to access your documents? Or do you want to see some home-made videos via streaming on your TV? There are also solutions to these problems.
- Google Drive
- One Drive
Create or edit documents
If you need to edit a working document or check your family budget, why are you going to your notebook? Use the keyboard you have and your mouse and install your favorite apps.
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Excel
- Google Docs
- Google Sheets
Do you need to get some photos to post on your blog or social media accounts? Guess what! Just go to Aptoide or Google Play and install an app.
- Adobe Photoshop Express
Easily manage local files
Need to manage your local files? Copy, delete or move? There are also solutions to this issue. Most of them are quite intuitive and simple to master.
- File Manager
- File Explorer
- Total Commander
You have already edited a very important document and you need to print it. First instinct is to pick up a USB stick to copy and then print it from your notebook. But why? Just download the app of your printer and print it wirelessly.
- HP Smart (Printer Remote)
- Samsung Mobile Print
- Brother Print Service Plugin
You already edited the image and now you want to share it with your friends. What are you waiting for? Just open your social media...
You’ve just remembered that you have to congratulate a family member, or you have to uncheck a meeting, but your smartphone is not near you and you're too lazy to get up ... Guess what, just go with the mouse and click!
- Facebook Messenger
Play games with a gamepad
Since you're in the mood for connecting peripherals to your set-top box, why not save a port to your gamepad? Yes, you also have the right to play. Anyone needs to have fun and relax.
- Asphalt 8
- Beach Buggy Racing
Well, we've already shown what you can do with your set-top box, or mini-PC. But, something is missing here ... watching movies! You can also watch movies; just install the apps you prefer.
- Amazon Prime
And of course, you can watch your favorite TV channels through the right applications.
- Tubi TV
- Android app provider cable
- WeTV (Free-to-air television - if you have a tuner connected to your set-top box)
Remotely control another computer
If you need to access your notebook or PC, just use the wonders of remote desktops…
- VNC Viewer
- Microsoft Remote Desktop
- Chrome Remote Desktop
As you can see, the possibilities are huge! What other things do you use your set-top box for?